Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3/23/11

IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC:

Last night, Holly, Vicky and I left on a red eye flight out of San Diego at 10pm PST on March 22nd and (after a layover in JFK) arrived in the Dominican Republic at 11:30am EST on March 23rd. A total travel time of 10.5 hrs. On the first flight we all made the mistake of getting exit rows for more leg room only to find that the seats were hard and didn't recline. Woops! It only took us about 30 min to get our luggage, get through customs, and exchange our dollars to pesos. We had a taxi waiting for us to take us to the hotel.

We are staying at the Carey House Hotel in Santo Domingo. It's the basic of the basic. (Think Motel 6) But there are 3 separate full size beds, so none of us have to share. The weather is beautiful. Not the scorching hot weather that Holly had warned us all about. After a quick lunch we headed out to the market to buy items to use for our silent auction in May. I knew that it would be somewhat frustrating to not know the language, but I didn't really know that no one would. We will not have an interpreter until we are at the COTN compound, Casa Bethesda.

We have been required to read the book "Foreign to Familiar" and it explains a lot about this culture viewing the DR and Haiti as "warm-climate" cultures and the USA as a "cold-climate" culture. Basically it's the same difference as Feeling vs. Thinking in the Myers Briggs. I don't know that we are crossing cultures effectively. And I'll admit that I keep wishing we could slow down and take a moment rather than barrel through. My concern is being viewed as rude which is a huge offense to the people in this culture. But for now I just follow and do as I'm told.

In all honesty, I'm anxious to get this part of the trip over with. I want to get to Casa Bathesda and start working on a project. I admit I like the absence of technology distractions. I think I'm itching for something significant to be doing.

As of right now we are still waiting to hear if we are going to be going into Haiti. We have everything prepared for the trip and all of us are hoping and praying diligently that we are able to get in.

Well, it's now 10:30pm EST and I'm ready for bed! Buenos noches!

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy, and My load is light." -- Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. We are praying for you and the rest of the gang. Love dad

    ReplyDelete